Strengthened by Discipline - Mercy Meditation, August 21, 2016


"Whom the Lord loves, He disciplines..." (Heb 12:5)
 
 
“Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you,
will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough. (Lk 12:24) 
 
Several years ago, I waited nervously in a long confession line, preparing to reconcile after many years away from the Catholic Church. Opening my pocket bible randomly, I read: “…whom the Lord loves, he disciplines; he scourges every son he acknowledges.” Endure your trials as “discipline”; God treats you as sons. For what “son” is there whom his father does not discipline?” (Heb 12:5-7).

Had I not been drawn to confession that day by the message of the Divine Mercy, that passage might have caused me to slip out and disappear for at least another decade! Fortunately, at that time, the Divine Mercy messages were just beginning to spread in this area and reading them had given me the courage to return to confession. Jesus asked for the Feast of Mercy to be celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter, promising, “On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy.  The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment… Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet” (Diary, 699).

Fear had long kept me from approaching the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but Jesus’s promise was the invitation I needed to finally come back. I stayed in line that day and was washed clean by God’s mercy and welcomed home. Even the promised discipline, which I gradually learned from Church teachings as I rediscovered the “narrow gate” that leads to life, was truly a gift. As Paul goes on to say, “At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it…” (Heb 12:11).

 
 

Comments