Jesus, Remember Me When You Come Into Your Kingdom - Mercy Meditation for Nov. 20th, 2016

Titian [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” ~ Lk 23:42

How fitting that the Year of Mercy ends on Thanksgiving week, a time when our nation gives thanks to God for His abundant blessings. Even more fitting is our celebration of the Feast of Christ the King, as we praise and thank God for the gift of this Holy Year of Mercy. Our merciful King “delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Unlike any other king, Jesus reigns from the cross, making peace with His own blood, to open the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers.

Today’s Gospel describes a scene much like the drama seen in our world in these faithless times. Jesus, suffering on the cross for love of us, is mocked and jeered by the very people He is giving His life to save. I myself have stood in the midst of that crowd; my own sins crucified my King. But while I was yet a sinner, Jesus looked out into that crowd, gazed directly at me, and asked His Father for my forgiveness. He never stopped loving me, even when I was far from Him. By some miracle, over the din of voices mocking God, my ears were opened just enough to hear Him call me back to Him. He did not force me to turn to Him but He invited me. The sound of His voice penetrated my darkness, shattered my blindness, and like the “good thief” I turned to Him and asked His mercy and He washed away my sins.

If you ever think your sins are too terrible to be forgiven, remember the words on every Divine Mercy image, “Jesus, I trust in You.” Never despair or lose hope. Turn to His mercy and say, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Our merciful King will never abandon you. The Year of Mercy may be ending, but the mercy of our Lord endures forever.



November 20, 2016 The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

Readings: 2 Sm 5:1-3; Col 1:12-20; Lk 23:35-43


Comments

Post a Comment