Forgiving the Unforgivable


Photo from www.immaculee.com
 
"Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive? – Mt. 18:21
 
One of the most amazing stories of forgiveness I’ve ever heard was told by Immaculée Ilibagiza, a survivor of the Rwandan genocide of 1994, in her book, “Left to Tell.” She spent three months hiding in a tiny bathroom with seven other starving women, as her family members and fellow Tutsi tribe members were slaughtered in the genocide that killed a million people. She survived by praying the rosary continually, saying, “Prayer became my armor, and I wrapped it tightly around my heart."
Yet she encountered difficulty with the words of the Lord ’s Prayer, finding herself unable to say “forgive us as we forgive others.” She remembers, "It was no use - my prayers felt hollow. A war had started in my soul, and I could no longer pray to a God of love with a heart full of hatred…. I tried again, praying for Him to forgive the killers, but deep down I couldn't believe that they deserved it at all. It tormented me... I tried to pray for them myself, but I felt like I was praying for the devil… I asked God to help me, and again I heard his voice: Forgive them; they know not what they do…
I took a crucial step toward forgiving the killers that day. My anger was draining from me - I'd opened my heart to God, and He'd touched it with His infinite love. For the first time, I pitied the killers. I asked God to forgive their sins and turn their souls toward His beautiful light… That night I prayed with a clear conscience and a clean heart. For the first time since I entered the bathroom, I slept in peace."
May each of us also find the grace and peace that comes from forgiving those who have sinned against us.
 

Comments

  1. I felt aching with pent up rage
    as I read this painful account of
    this special soul--with and for whom,
    God surely has special regard
    amid the doings of the worrisome,
    wanting, wonton and woeful ways
    of many sorts in our humanity.
    Indeed, I still feel the pang
    of negativism from such a terrible
    experience, as was told.
    I do have difficulty with forgiveness
    in such matters.
    We do have the standards to strive
    for, however. :o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment