God's Little Gifts Become Our Eternal Treasures


 But yes! Invent my life. Light a passionate fire, a thing of blazing gold, and let me laugh in your joy, my laughing God, and leap in your rising, my Dancer! 
Katherine De Vinck, A Book of Uncommon Prayer
 
The Lord has entrusted each of us with certain gifts. Each gift is specially intended for the recipient, just as the Master in today’s Gospel entrusts each servant with a different amount. Some of us, not trusting ourselves to use the gifts God chose for us, may be tempted to hide our “talents” instead of using them.
Several years ago, I returned to the Church after a long absence. There I found the infinite mercy of God waiting for me, and I soon began to desire to share the truth and beauty of the Catholic faith with others who had left the Church. I began teaching as a volunteer catechist, but wanted to learn more. It took ten years attending community college and a distance university part time to complete my Bachelor’s Degree in Christian Theology. I then set out to put my “gifts” to use in Catholic education or parish work, but my shiny new credentials failed to win me the job I envisioned. So I continued with family responsibilities and odd jobs that ranged from caregiving for an elderly priest to flower arranging, while volunteering in various ministries, writing articles, and teaching an occasional class. The Lord’s plans for me seemed different than my own, and I often had to remind myself to trust in His will.
But I don’t worry too much about my failures, because our Lord is not a demanding Lord, but a generous and merciful Father. Like the Master in today’s parable, God desires our love and trust more than our success. So, when the day comes for me to account for the use of my gifts, I will offer the Lord my empty hands, a heart full of love and gratitude, and maybe just a few pennies of “interest,” trusting it will be enough.
Don’t hesitate to trust in God to receive the offering of your life, lived in faith and love, as an acceptable return on His investment.  
 

 

Comments