Strengthen the Hands That Are Weak



“Strengthen the hands that are feeble, make firm the knees that are weak, say to those whose hearts are frightened: Be strong, fear not!” Is 35:3-4 

It’s easy to take good health for granted. When we’re healthy and strong, we don’t count ourselves among the lame, the blind, the deaf, or the crippled. It doesn’t take but a moment to be reminded of how vulnerable we all are to the same conditions. That moment might come when you slip and fall, twisting an ankle, and find yourself hobbling around instead of striding through your daily chores, or when you lose your reading glasses and struggle to decipher a page of print.

Last week, in the space of a few hours, I went from helping lift our 8 foot Christmas tree into the house, to being unable to lift my left arm when I injured my shoulder. I suddenly found myself depending on others for help with the smallest things, from putting on my coat to putting lights on the tree. I was grateful and humbled to have my family step in to take care of everything.

Anyone who has ever experienced the humbling effects of our human weaknesses – which I believe includes us all – should be gladdened by today’s readings. Jesus has come to us for that very reason – because He sees our weakness, knows our needs, and desires our wholeness.

When Jesus is asked by John’s disciples, "Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?" He says in reply, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind regain their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have the good news proclaimed to them. And blessed is the one who takes no offense at me."

What joyful hope! In our weakest and most vulnerable moments, Jesus comes to us with His healing touch, if we just open our hearts and believe in His love for us. When we suffer from sickness, injury, blindness, poverty, deafness, anxiety, or grief, Jesus is close to us, waiting to help us. Are you suffering? Invite Jesus into your life and your heart, and He will help you with every need.




Comments